07 October 2007

Weird Dreams, the New Chemical Brothers Album, and Craziness

I've been having the weirdest dreams lately, which is odd for me because I usually don't remember my dreams. Anyways they've been wild recently.... A sample, if you will....

A few nights ago, I dreamt that I was in my sister's apartment, and she'd filled her kitchen sink with saltwater. There were these weird scallops swimming around in her sink. They were like ordinary scallops but with these red gelatinous growths on their sides. Really weird. Anyway one of them swam up through the water into the air towards me and I reached out towards it. It opened and this tiny red squid, maybe five inches long, emerged from its shell towards me. I reached out one of my fingers and its tentacles wrapped around it. I felt it bite me and I thought that was rather rude of it, then I woke up.

Another dream. I dreamt last night that I was on the beach with a bunch of my friends in Santa Cruz, and one of them placed a tiny white crab on my shoulder. It made me nervous but I didn't shake it off until I got back to my apartment, in Chicago, somehow. The crab extended its claws and I got antsy and threw it off my shoulder, where it clinked against my counter then my floor just like a quarter that's landed on its side. It landed on my kitchen floor and remained perfectly motionless for a while. As I stood there, though, the crab became more and more agitated, more and more angry. As it became more and more angry, more and more things began to unfold out of its carapace. First claws, then a bigger carapace, then eventually wings then a second set of wings. It charged at me a couple of times, then when it grew wings it flew right at me and I dodged it right as I woke up.

I dunno what's up with me lately. I keep drawing mollusks and crustaceans in my little notebooks. Squids and crabs and lobsters and bees abound in my notebooks. It's really weird. I have no idea what's going on with me. Doodling in my notebooks constantly I guess gives me some insight as to what's going on in there, but it's still so hard to interpret. Earlier tonight, at the bar, I randomly took out a piece of paper and drew a squid on it; I don't know why. Mebbe something crazy's going on up in my subconscious. Who knows. Still. It's very weird.

In unrelated news, I am thoroughly loving the new Chemical Brothers album, We Are the Night. The title track especially is just unbelievably amazing. So are "Burst Generator" and "Do It Again". I don't even have words to describe how well put together this album is. Even the duller moments of the album serve as the perfect time to recuperate between melt-your-face amazing tracks. I don't know how they can still be producing this kind of quality work after all these years, but they are. It warms my heart to know it.

Ok. I've just been out "for the duration" at Estelle's, so I should probably get some sleep. Later, space cadets.

No comments: